Followers

Friday, September 28, 2012

The Light Bulb


On August 29 at 12:14 AM I drove to my friends (Jen) house to pick up contacts, contact solution and to use her hole puncher. By the time I arrived she was 98.7% asleep and potentially sleep walking when she opened her front door. None the less she let me in and handed me my stuff. As I awkwardly stood around not sure if I should just thank her and leave she said, “you can stay and talk to me for a little if you want.” Thinking back now I’m pretty sure she meant that as a rhetorical offer. However, I was more than eager to jump on her bed and explain my daily learning’s in excruciating detail. I covered all my favorite topics like dolphin migration, sloths and conservation. Somewhere during those 30 minutes of my blabbering and her half asleep “aha” I mentioned how one in every four animals is a beetle. At this point she adjusted her “listening” position opened one eye and said “oh, that’s interesting I didn’t know that.”SEE IT???? There, there it was… the domino effect, the eureka moment, THE LIGHT BULB that started everything. Like a rocket shooting into the atmosphere my brain was running at a trillion miles a second, so fast, that the speed of light would need a red bull to keep up. I realized right there at the foot of her bed that very few people (in relation to the worlds 8 billion inhabitants) truly understand the beauty of the creatures that surround us! I thought, if I could just tell people about what makes each creature unique, then maybe they will take the time to read an article about the environmental issues that we are facing today instead of giving them a sideway glance while flipping through the Sunday paper. I said it once and I’ll say it a million times; education is the key to conservation. I personally think Dr. Seuss said it best – “I am the lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees for the trees have no tongues.”

1 comment:

  1. I agree! And also didn't know about the beetle. Great writing, entertaining! Keep it up! Love, Tula

    ReplyDelete